Tuesday, July 14, 2009

When we last left our intrepid heroes...

I'm running a tabletop RPG again -- specifically, I'm running Final Fantasy Omega, the RPG I created for my friends Nathan and Taylor when we moved to Kansas City in 2003. It eventually expanded to include Nute and Meg (my then-girlfriend, now-wife), and then fell apart in 2007 for a number of reasons. After sitting on it for a year and a half, I decided to start it up again, where we left off, and last Sunday was the first combat session with the new system, a hybrid of D&D 3.5E and 4E. Most everything was created by me -- well, the extras. The core design is a mix of Dungeons and Dragons and Final Fantasy, but the numbers for all the FF abilities and the structure of the classes themselves are mine.

I really enjoy creating things, more than any other creative aspect of my life. I think this is why I have a hard time finishing up my stories, because I'm not creating anything there, I'm just putting down what I already have. When I run a session, it's instant gratification and the execution there is putting my plans into motion. It's incredibly satisfying.

The idea right now is to run every other week, which in theory will let me keep working on Popular Anarcy. In reality, though, I think I'm going to be very focused on Omega until its completion, only paying lip service to writing my book.

I'm not as upset about this as I feel like I should be, and honestly as I need to be.

This is Matt, who has written 43 Google Docs for his gaming campaign, most of them recaps and short stories.

No comments: