Thursday, January 1, 2009

State of the Union

I think the dumbest part of this opening post is my opening thought -- namely, that I don't have my preferred font, Tahoma. I do everything in Tahoma nowadays. I tried Verdana for a while but in anything other than 10-point, it looks a bit bloated, like the text is suffering from a big Italian dinner.

Now that we have established the idiocy of our host, let us begin.

Hi, I'm Matt Bowyer. I'll be the writer behind Loading Screen for the next however long I do this before losing interest. I'm a writer and an aspiring author, and a title is incredibly important to your work. I thought about this one for about thirty seconds, and I think it shows that.

The last blog/journal/what-have-you I wrote I titled "But You Still Know Nothin' 'Bout Me," which is a line from a Sting song from the Ten Summoner's Tales album. That one was used more as a journal rather than a blog, and on it, I wrote a lot of personal stuff, nonpersonal stuff, and completely random crap that stuck to the wall. I felt the title worked because anyone who read that journal still wouldn't have a good idea of who exactly I was, hence they still know nothin' 'bout me.

"Loading Screen" works as a title because of what this blog will be for me -- something I do in between events in life. In video games, loading screens pop up in between levels, rooms, or major events, giving the processor time to set up the upcoming level. I'll be using this like those screens, as a way to set up for the upcoming event.

I'm not going to go on and on about my day like in a diary. You, the nebulous "you" that is the blog readership, do not care about the traffic this morning (nonexistent), the cereal I had this morning (Raisin Bran), or how good this Dr. Pepper is that I'm drinking (so good). And that's fine, because I really don't care about any of that either. That's filler. That's padding your word count.

I'm going to try and keep this interesting, because if I don't then I definitely won't write in it. If I get to the point where I'm really anxious to hop on my blog and share a story about the food I ate this morning? Email my editor and have him come find me and hit me. I'll deserve it.

This is Matt.

No comments: